Advising is an integral part of a college education. The academic advisor-student relationship is one of the most important that you will encounter as a college student.
Goals of Academic Advising:
- Explore Life Goals: Help students clarify their values and goals.
- Explore Educational and Career Goals: Lead students to better understand that nature and purpose of higher education.
- Provide Information on Academic Program: Provide accurate information about educational options, policies, and procedures.
- Selection of Courses/Electives and Plan Course Schedule: Plan an educational program consistent with a student’s interests and abilities.
- Connect to Campus Resources: Integrate the many resources of the university to meet the student’s special educational needs and aspirations.
Responsibilities of Advisors:
- Help students define and develop realistic goals.
- Identify special needs.
- Match students’ needs with available resources and make appropriate referrals
- Assist students with planning programs consistent with their abilities and interests.
- Monitor students’ progress.
- Discuss linkage between academic preparation and the world of work.
Responsibilities of Advisees:
- Gather all relevant decision-making information.
- Clarify personal values and goals.
- Become knowledgeable about college programs, policies, procedures and requirements, i.e. add/drop deadlines, graduation, and general education requirements.
- Accept responsibility for decisions.
Preparation for Advisor Meeting:
- Schedule a meeting with your academic advisor.
- Make arrangements to take care of any alerts you may have on your account.
- Review your degree audit and consider classes for next semester.
- Outline a tentative course schedule to review with your advisor.
- Bring copies of important documents declaration/change of major/program forms and/or minor forms.
- Brainstorm potential questions to ask your academic advisor.
- Arrive on time for your appointment
- Call to reschedule if you cannot make the appointment
General Guidelines for Making the Most of Your Advisor Meeting:
- Call or email your advisor to schedule an appointment.
- Arrive on time for your appointment.
- Call to reschedule if you cannot make the appointment.
- Prepare potential questions to ask your academic advisor.
- Share your education and career goals.