BE AN ESSENTIAL PIECE TO THE FYSC TEAM: APPLY TO BECOME A SUCCESS CAPTAIN!
Serving as a Success Captain is a valuable form of service that directly impacts the University community. By providing your time, energy and knowledge about college life both inside and outside the classroom, you contribute enormously to the success of the entering class by helping them become acclimated and integrated into the University community! The goal of the program is to provide an opportunity for new students to connect with mentors & classroom co-facilitators who are knowledgeable about UNH and can support them in their transition to UNH.
How to Become a Success Captain
Step 1: Attend an information session on the position
Attend one of these 5 information sessions to learn about the position. If you are unable to attend one of these times, please contact the First-Year Success Center at 203-479-4581 or StudentSuccess@newhaven.edu.
- Monday, March 11th @ 6:30 PM in the Moulton Lounge
- Tuesday, March 12th @ 2:00 PM in the Student Dining Room
- Wednesday, March 13th @ 11:00 AM in the Moulton Lounge
- Thursday, March 14th @ 10:30 AM in the Moulton Lounge
- Thursday, March 14th @ 5:00 PM in the Moulton Lounge
For the information session PowerPoint presentation, please CLICK HERE.
Step 2: Submit an application to the FYSC
Applications are due back to the First-Year Success Center (Maxcy Hall 106) by Monday, March 25th.
You can access the application HERE.
Step 3: Get invited to a group interview
If we think you are a qualified candidate after review of your application materials, you will be invited back for a group process interview.
Step 4: Interview as an individual
Students who stand out in the group process interview will be brought back for the final step, an individual interview. During this interview we will ask you more specific questions pertaining to your experiences and skills that will contribute to our center and the role of Success Captain.
Step 5: Welcome to the First-Year Success Center Family!
As a new member of the family, we’ll make sure that you have the training you need to be successful!
- Every Friday, April 12th-May 3rd attend a 2 hr session
- Participate in online summer BlackBoard sessions
- Attend an End of Summer Retreat to familiarize yourself with your class facilitator, class syllabi, and, fellow Success Captains