Frequently Asked Questions - Bursar's Office

Billing Statements

How can I view my bill?

For students on main campus: All billing for tuition, fees, room and board is processed electronically through ePay. With ePay, you can access your tuition statement, view account activity, make a payment in a secure environment, and set up others to have similar access. Paper bill statements are not produced and/or mailed.

Students can access ePay by logging in to myCharger and clicking the ePay icon on the right:

Authorized payers for main campus students can log in to ePay here:

Authorized payers for Lyme campus students can log in to ePay here:

What is a tuition differential fee?

Tuition differentials are additional fees associated with particular courses. These courses (usually engineering, chemistry, and computer science courses) require additional resources to operate. Tuition differential fees are noted on the Academic Schedule.

Why am I being charged a lab fee if I’m not taking a lab?

Although the course in question does not necessarily have a laboratory component, there is an additional fee required to operate the class. This fee is used to support courses requiring specialized materials and/or a specialized environment. Lab fees are noted on the Academic Schedule.

What happens if I do not pay my bill by the due date?

If the payment is not received by the designated due date, you may be assessed a late fee each month equal to 1% of your unpaid balance as well as have a financial hold placed on your record. This hold will restrict you from scheduling/registering for future classes, requesting transcripts, and receiving your diploma.

How can my parent or guardian have access to my bill?

The University of New Haven fully complies with the provisions of FERPA and with its statements on policies and procedures.

In order for the Bursar’s Office to discuss a student’s tuition account with parents or others, a student must provide permission by creating up to 5 authorized payers on their ePay account. You (and any authorized payer) will receive an email notifying you when your bill is ready to be viewed. Click here for directions on setting up an authorized payer. Once someone is an authorized user, that person will have access to the tuition bill in ePay.

What is FERPA?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a federal law that affords parents the right to have access to their children’s education records, the right to seek to have the records amended, and the right to have some control over the disclosure of personally identifiable information from the education records. When a student turns 18 years old, or enters a postsecondary institution at any age, the rights under FERPA transfer from the parents to the student (“eligible student”). The FERPA statute is found at 20 U.S.C. § 1232g and the FERPA regulations are found at 34 CFR Part 99. Read more about FERPA here.

Credit and Debit Service Fee in ePay

Who is assessing and collecting this fee?

The fee is charged by The University’s third party credit card processor, Nelnet, and covers the credit and debit card transaction fees assessed by credit card companies and financial institutions. The University of New Haven receives no benefit or revenue from this process.

How can I avoid paying the fee?

You can avoid paying the 2.7% fee by paying online with an e-check through ePay (ACH bank transfer from checking or savings account) or you can avoid the fee by mailing a check directly to the Bursar’s Office. In person cash payments are also accepted in the Bursar’s Office.

Is the service fee refundable or can it be waived?

The service fee is assessed by an outside vendor, not by the University of New Haven. The fee is not refundable and cannot be waived.

Do other Universities charge a service fee for credit and debit card payments?

Yes. Colleges and Universities across the country have made similar changes to their credit and debit card payment policies. Some are choosing not to accept credit and debit card payments due to the additional costs associated with credit and debit card transactions.

How do I make a credit card payment if that remains my preferred payment method?

Credit and debit card payments can only be made online through ePay. The University of New Haven will no longer process credit and debit cards in person at the Bursar’s Office or via phone.

Health Insurance

Why am I being charged for health insurance?

All full time undergraduate students and all international students are automatically charged for University of New Haven health insurance. Domestic students will have an opportunity to waive this coverage, if you are already covered by another health insurance plan. Please contact the Bursar’s Office for further information regarding the waiver deadline.

The University health insurance plan is mandatory for all international students.

What if I missed the health insurance waiver deadline?

Once the waiver deadline has passed, you will not be able to waive coverage until the next academic year. Failure to complete the online waiver request form by the specified date will obligate the student to pay for the coverage indicated on his/her student account.

TMS (Monthly Payment Plan)

How do I determine my payment plan budget amount?

Simply start with your total education expenses for the upcoming year or semester, and then subtract any grants or financial aid. This is your total budget amount. Next, divide your total budget amount by the number of payments offered in your plan to determine your monthly payment.

What should I do if I do not know my total education expenses when enrolling in the payment plan?

If your costs are not finalized at the time you enroll, simply estimate your budget. Once your costs are finalized, you can then make adjustments to your budget amount.

I am on the monthly payment plan. Why is there a balance on my account?

If you are enrolled in TMS and a balance due still remains, you may have under-budgeted your contract. You have a few choices to address this. You can contact the Bursar’s Office and we would be glad to help you in re-calculating your TMS contract and advise you how much to increase your balance. Or, you can pay the balance directly to the University.


The loan amount I took out to cover my balance was more than what I owed. How and when can I receive a refund?

If a student has a Title IV (federal financial aid) credit on their account then a refund will be processed automatically within 14 days of the funds posting to a student’s account. If the credit on a students' account is not a Title IV credit then the student must complete a Refund Request Form.

Students should monitor their ePay account. When a transaction appears on the student’s account that says “Student Refund”, the refund will be available the next business day after 1pm.

What is the quickest way to receive my refund?

For students on main campus, direct deposit for refunds is strongly suggested. The student can sign up for direct deposit through ePay to have refunds sent to their checking or savings account.

Refund checks for students at Lyme Academy College of Fine Arts are automatically processed and mailed to the student's primary address as listed in Banner.

1098-T Tax Forms

What is a 1098-T form?

The 1098-T tax form is an Internal Revenue Service (IRS) tuition statement which is intended to help students file their federal income tax return. The University mails paper copies of the 1098-T tax form to students each January and also reports this same information to the IRS. Your accountant, tax preparer, or the Internal Revenue Service ( can best advise you in the utilization of this form when preparing your taxes.

Why are my payments not listed in Box 1?

Universities may choose whether to report payments received or amounts billed; they are not required to report both amounts. The University of New Haven has chosen to report qualified tuition and related expense amounts billed. Box 1 will therefore be left blank on all University of New Haven 1098-T forms.

What is included in Box 2?

Box 2 includes tuition and mandatory fees that were billed between January 1 and December 31. Qualified tuition and fees include tuition charges as well as mandatory student fees such as lab fees, student activity fee, and general fees. Room, board, and health insurance fees are not included in qualified tuition and fees. Also, we report the total amount of qualified tuition and fees in a given tax year. For example, if the tuition and fees for the spring of 2017 are billed in December 2016, the amounts will be reflected on the 2016 1098-T form.

Contact The Bursar's Office

Bergami Hall
Phone: (203) 932-7217
Fax: (203) 931-6086

Hours: Monday - Friday
8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.