The University of New Haven (UNH) was founded in 1920 on the campus of Yale University as the New Haven YMCA Junior College, a division of Northeastern University. The college offered instruction in business and engineering to local students. The university also owed much to Yale University, for the use of its buildings and laboratories and for the assistance of its faculty and graduate students for nearly forty years.
Because of the growing student demand for day as well as evening courses, the university first built a modern classroom building near East Rock in New Haven in 1958; in the same year it also received state authorization to offer bachelor of science degrees in engineering and business. Outgrowing even its new building, the university acquired the former New Haven County Orphanage complex (now known as Ellis C. Maxcy Hall) in West Haven in 1960. With a campus consisting of three buildings – Maxcy Hall, the Gate House, and a Student Services building – the university embarked on an aggressive building program throughout the 1960s. In 1965 the first building to be completed was the Student Center, now known as Bartels Hall. The construction of Buckman Hall and dormitories followed, and UNH continues to develop its campus to this day.
UNH not only added new buildings, it enlarged the scope of its academic degrees into the arts and sciences, public safety, hotel and restaurant administration, and graduate education. New Haven College received full accreditation for its baccalaureate programs from the New England Association of Schools and Colleges in 1966.
In 1969, the college took a major step forward with the addition of the Graduate School. Initially offering programs in business administration and industrial engineering, the Graduate School expanded rapidly.
Since the 1970s both the undergraduate and graduate student population have included significant numbers of international students attracted by the university’s career-oriented programs in the colleges of Business, Engineering, Arts and Sciences, and Criminal Justice and the Forensic Sciences. A number of the university’s undergraduate degree programs have been nationally recognized, most notably the nationally-accredited engineering programs, forensic science, and music and sound recording. UNH currently offers more than one hundred undergraduate and graduate degree programs. Faculty have come to UNH with degrees from prestigious universities around the world and have established an impressive record of research and publication.
A Bright Future
In 1970, on the fiftieth anniversary of its founding, New Haven College became the University of New Haven, reflecting the increased scope and the diversity of academic programs offered.
Today, the university offers a rich variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in five schools: the College of Arts and Sciences, the College of Business, the Tagliatela College of Engineering, the Henry C. Lee College of Criminal Justice and Forensic Sciences, and the Graduate School.
Undergraduate and graduate courses and programs are offered on the main campus in West Haven and at other off-campus and in-plant sites. Graduate courses in selected fields are offered at our Southeastern campus in New London and in Waterbury, Shelton, Newington, and at our newest site on Saw Mill Road in West Haven. Company-restricted programs are also offered at Pitney Bowes (MBA for Emerging Leaders) and Sandia Laboratories in New Mexico (M.S. in National Security).