Parameters for image-map-2:{}
University of New Haven logo

Preparing to Study Abroad

Studying abroad can be a fun and safe experience but it is important to realize that you are subject to the laws and customs of another country. Here are some tips prepared by the Office of Overseas Services to help keep you prepared and safe.

Study Abroad Policies

All students are encouraged to meet with their academic advisors to determine the program for their major area of study.

  1. Students must be in good standing academically and have no disciplinary or financial holds.
  2. The program and program provider must be approved by the Study Abroad Office.
  3. Students who are living on-campus must visit the Office of Residential Life, located on the first floor of Bixler Hall (203.932.7076), to discuss living arrangements for their return.
  4. Students who are receiving Financial Aid must visit the Financial Aid office to discuss any changes in their Institutional or Federal Financial Aid.
  5. While away students should stay current with UNH emails and remember to pre-register for the next semester – this can be done on-line.
  6. Students who plan to graduate at the end of the study abroad semester should be sure to meet with their advisor to ensure the courses taken abroad will meet program requirements.
  7. Students are advised to obtain approval from their academic advisor for first and second choice courses prior to departure because first choice courses abroad are not always available.
  8. Grades earned while abroad will be translated to the US Grading scale and applied to the UNH student transcript.
  9. Credits earned through approved study abroad programs come in as transfer credit and are not factored into your GPA. Your transcript will report your grades as T1, T2, or T3 with a key that will report a T1 as an A, a T2 as a B, and a T3 as a C. Grades below a C are not transferred in.
  10. Transfer students may not study abroad during their first semester as a UNH student.
  1. Register

    Register so the State Department can better assist you in an emergency: Register your travel plans with the State Department through a free online service by clicking here. This will help us contact you if there is a family emergency in the U.S., or if there is a crisis where you are traveling. In accordance with the Privacy Act, information on your welfare and whereabouts will not be released to others without your express authorization.
  2. Your Passport

    If you do not currently have a passport and you are applying to a study abroad program, you MUST expedite the process. You MUST expedite the process to ensure that your passport will arrive prior to the deadline for submitting your visa application materials. You will need your physical passport in order to obtain a student visa.  Additionally, if you currently have a passport, it typically needs to be valid for six months after the date of return from your study abroad program. For example, if your study abroad program ends in May 2013 then your passport needs to be valid through November 2013. If you have any questions regarding this matter, you should contact your study abroad advisor. 

    CLICK HERE to obtain more information about "Getting a Passport in a Hurry"

    If you have any questions regarding obtaining a new passport, please contact

  3. Medical Insurance

    Check your overseas medical insurance coverage: Ask your medical insurance company if your policy applies overseas, and if it covers emergency expenses such as medical evacuation. If it does not, consider supplemental insurance.


    For students studying at the Tuscany Campus or participating in a faculty-led program, they will automatically be covered with international health insurance through our provider HTH Worldwide Insurance. 

  4. Precautions

    Familiarize yourself with local conditions and laws: While in a foreign country, you are subject to its laws. The State Department web site has useful safety and other information about the countries you will visit.

    Take precautions to avoid being a target of crime: To avoid being a target of crime, do not wear conspicuous clothing or jewelry and do not carry excessive amounts of money. Also, do not leave unattended luggage in public areas and do not accept packages from strangers.

    Contact us in an emergency:Consular personnel at U.S. Embassies and Consulates abroad and in the U.S. are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, to provide emergency assistance to U.S. citizens. Contact information for U.S. Embassies and Consulates appears on the Bureau of Consular Affairs website. Also note that the Office of Overseas Citizen Services in the State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs may be reached for assistance with emergencies at 1-888-407-4747, if calling from the U.S. or Canada, or 202-501-4444, if calling from overseas.