Theater Arts

Find your role.

Theater Arts

The Kennedy Center American College Theater Festival has cited UNH as having one of the best emerging new theater programs in New England. In this program you will be completely immersed in a creative environment that develops, nurtures, and showcases your creative talents. Where those talents lie will become obvious as you explore courses in:

• Acting
  • Dance
  • Design
  • Dramatic literature
  • Technical Theater
  • Directing
  • Playwriting

Concentrate on your craft.

In addition to the University’s core requirements and the required courses for theater arts majors, you can opt for a concentration in one of four areas:

Arts Administration. Learn the business side of theater and gain managerial skills in production and marketing.

Performance. You’ll take courses in acting, dance, directing, and vocal performance.

Design. Learn stagecraft, basic design, color, and production fundamentals.

Literary. Make the most of studying theater in a liberal arts setting by immersing yourself in dramatic literature and take advantage of the rare opportunity for undergraduates to explore dramaturgy.

You’re On: When the scene changes from the classroom to the real world!

Theater Arts

Doing is learning, and there’s no substitute for it. In Student New Works and Theater for Community Impact, cornerstone courses in the program, students take the reins themselves and explore the possibilities of theater to inspire social change, both on campus and off. Productions run the spectrum from classical to contemporary to musical theater, and students can play the part of performer, writer, director, designer, stage manager, dramaturg (literary adviser), or technician.

You will also learn the ropes directly from professionals based in New Haven and New York City. A partnership with New Haven’s Elm Shakespeare Company provides opportunities for students to perform and work with an Equity company before or immediately after graduation. Students can also spend a semester at the National Theater Institute at the Eugene O’Neill Theater Center and do an internship at places like the Long Wharf Theatre, the International Festival of Arts & Ideas, and the Public Theater.

1. Make A Reservation!

Crisis: A Performance About Race in America 1915-2015 - Featuring performances, playwriting, choreography, original music, and scenic design by UNH students.

Buy Tickets Now

Find Us On