4+1 Pre-Education

Great teachers have two passions: the passion they have for their subject and the passion they have for getting others excited about it. Sound like you? If so, Connecticut needs you. There’s an acute shortage of certified teachers in the state, especially in urban school districts and in the secondary subject areas of English, math, and science.

With our 4+1 Pre-Education program, in partnership with Fairfield University, you can earn your Master of Science in Education and be eligible for Connecticut teacher certification in a little over five years.

Major in your passion — then study teaching.

The University of New Haven does not offer an undergraduate degree in teaching. There’s a sound reason for that. Research shows that the best teachers are those who first get their credentials in a major subject and then learn teaching practices.

Make the leap to teaching in year five.

Along with completing the degree requirements for your major, you’ll take “Introduction to Education” in your sophomore or junior year and two foundational graduate education courses in your senior year.

Then, after receiving your bachelor’s degree, you’ll have the opportunity to enroll in the graduate education program at nearby Fairfield University. Once you're there, you may begin a 1,000-hour internship in a public school, with the school paying the tuition for your graduate school classes. You’ll gain valuable first-hand experience while you intern, interacting with students and observing professional teachers in their own classes.

Thirteen weeks of student teaching will follow your internship. This will allow you to receive your master’s degree and State Certification by the end of December, in just a little over five years. You’ll be ready to apply for teaching positions, many of which are available in January.

1. Program Description

1. Information Sessions

Register for an information session today. Sessions held in West Haven, Meriden and New London.