UNH Political Science Coffee Hour

Students talk politics at a recent Coffee Hour

Coffee Hour is an hour long round table discussion and debate about an important political issue including primarily students, but also administrators and faculty.

The primary goal of these talks is to foster and build a vibrant, engaged, and informed political community here at the University of New Haven. We do so by providing a comfortable, respectful, conducive, and informative environment in which students not only learn more about political issues, but also feel free to express themselves to others and ultimately, become more engaged in the political process.

Reignite Political Engagement

We enter a new century in which the advent of so many different forms of communication and technology has revolutionized the way we live. While new social media and smartphones have certainly benefited society, they have also contributed to the unfortunate advancement of political apathy. These developments are occurring at the very time when our government is making critically important decisions about programs (i.e. Social Security, Medicare) with far reaching implications.

With this in mind, we believe it is critical that the UNH community engage in Coffee Hour discussions to reignite the process of political engagement particularly among our students.

Join our political community

Coffee Hour takes place in Maxcy 309 each Wednesday at 6 PM and is hosted by Dr. Chris Haynes and the UNH Political Science Organization. In previous sessions, we have discussed issues such as the government shutdown, the debt limit crisis, the Syria situation, gun control, same sex marriage, God in government, student apathy, and health care reform.

1. Join Us

Coffee Hour takes place in Maxcy Hall 309 each Wednesday at 6 p.m., and is hosted by Dr. Chris Haynes and the UNH Political Science Organization. Everyone is welcome!
  1. Prospective Students