Career Placement for History Majors

History students develop skills in critical thinking, writing, and research - all skills that employers and admissions committees seek in their candidates.

Our flexible program allows you to select a course of study related to your individual interests. With our generous number of electives, you can double-major or minor in another field; Combine your interest in history with professional training from our extensive range of professional programs; or, deepen your knowledge by continuing on to graduate study.

Career Placement

A bachelor's degree in history is excellent preparation for careers in business, government, law, journalism, foreign service, and education, or any position where college graduates with thorough knowledge of historical methodology and good critical and analytic skills are welcomed. Graduates of the UNH history program are now successful lawyers, business managers, educational administrators, and entrepreneurs.

A major in history provides an outstanding foundation for continued education in fields such as these:

• Education
  • Law
  • Business and Finance
  • Journalism and Public Relations
  • Public Affairs
  • Theology
  • Museums and Archives
  • Communication and Writing

Graduate School

The History Department prepares its students for further graduate work by teaching not just content but critical and writing skills through reading, class presentations, class discussion, research, and writing. Historical methodology is stressed in all advanced courses; students take a history seminar in their senior year to sharpen their critical and analytical skills.

"I really want to have the opportunity to go around the world, learn about different cultures, and write about my experiences. I think History is a field where you ultimately find yourself." - Maria Zyla
  1. Blaze Your Path

Our Career Development Center offers full career development services to help our students, as well as our alumni, learn how to effectively manage and develop their careers.