Spring 2015 Featured Courses

UNH English Upper-level Courses for Spring 2015
Unless otherwise indicated, the only prerequisite is ENGL 1110 (formerly E110) Composition and Literature.

ENGL 2200 (01): Studies in Literature: Imperial Literature—Dr. Mary Isbell—MW 9:25-10:40 Prerequisite: ENGL 1105, ENGL 1106, or consent of instructor.
This course provides students with an introduction to literary genres and writing about/through literature. Skills developed include close reading, literary analysis and interpretation, research, and critical writing. This course focuses on literature associated with Empire, broadly conceived. Texts include Herman Melville’s Benito Cereno, Charlotte Brontë’s Jane Eyre, Jean Rhys’s Wide Sargasso Sea, and shorter works by Charles Dickens, Emily Eden, Richard Burton, Arthur Conan Doyle, and Thomas Hardy. Through this course material, we will explore literary techniques, terminology, and critical theories. (CC 1.2 or 6, requirement of the new English Core, English literature elective, or free elective)

ENGL 2225 (01): Technical Writing and Presentation—Dr. Jeff Foster—TR 3:05-4:20
In this course, students will learn, through intensive practice, how to write a wide variety of technical documents, such as white papers, abstracts, and proposals. This course is a must for those wishing to expand their skills in writing and presentation in their respective disciplines. (CC 1.2, English writing elective or free elective)

ENGL 2235 (01): Graphic Novel—Dr. Chris Dowd—TR 10:50-12:05
An exploration of the genre of graphic novels, including some of the most well-known representative texts by authors including Art Spiegelman, Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, Frank Miller, Brian K. Vaughan, Warren Ellis, Marjane Satrapi, Alex Robinson, and more. Emphasis is placed on the emergence of the genre from early comics, the functional elements of sequential art, and the cultural context of the production and reception of this genre. (CC 1.2 or 6, English literature elective, or free elective)

ENGL 2251 (01): Narrative Nonfiction: Writing the Self—Prof. Richard Farrell—TR 1:40-2:55
Can you tell the truth creatively?  Read some personal writing: memoir, literary journalism, etc. Then write about your formative experience: people, places, events that have shaped your values and goals. Explore ways to make your “self” important to readers—a goal for students of all majors. (English writing elective, English core writing elective in new curriculum, elective for new Creative Writing minor, or free elective)

ENGL 2287 (01): Story Structure & Narrative Form—Dr. Chris Dowd—MW 3:05-4:20
Prerequisite: ENGL 2267 or consent of instructor.
This Creative Writing course provides students the opportunity to study story structures and the formal aspects of fiction and other prose genres. Attention will be given to the technical aspects of storytelling at the heart of writing compelling novels, short stories, plays, and screenplays. The course will explore the relationship between form and content through lectures, readings, discussions, and a variety of writing exercises. Attention will be given to traditional elements of storytelling, including structure, characterization, point-of-view, and style, as well as topics related to genre, collaborative storytelling, and transmedia storytelling. Although not a traditional creative writing workshop course, students will focus on developing their own creative writing projects. (English writing elective, English core writing elective in new curriculum, elective for new Creative Writing minor, or free elective)

ENGL 4407 (01): Lives on the Edge: French Fiction—Prof. Richard Farrell—MW 1:40-2:55
Writers: Madame de la Fayette to Sartre and Camus. Characters: a Christian heiress, age 16, marries one man and loves another; a man and a woman plot various seductions; a “simple” woman’s parakeet is the Holy Ghost; a man goes to heaven after killing his parents; a teenager can’t find the girl he met at a weird party; a lonely historian wonders if he exists; a French Algerian doesn’t cry at his mother’s funeral, so he’s condemned to death for killing an Arab. (CC 1.2 or 6, English literature elective, or free elective)

ENGL 4486 (01): Women Writers—Dr. Diane Russo—MW 10:50-12:05
Glass-ceiling breakers, loving matriarchs, duty-bound daughters, reluctant housewives, vengeful sufferers, BFFs struggling to be loyal--these are the women whose experiences are captured in the texts we will read.  Come explore the ways women writers have celebrated, struggled with, and redefined their roles and relationships! Texts include Jane Eyre, A Room of One's Own, Sula, Housekeeping, Purple Hibiscus, and Breath, Eyes, Memory as well as selected plays and poems. (CC 1.2 or 6, English literature elective, or free elective)

ENGL 4488 (01H): Boom and Depression:  Literature, History, and Art During the 1920s and 1930s (Honors)—Dr. Pamela Asmus—MW 10:50-12:05 (restricted to students in the Honors Program)
During the 1920s and 1930s headlines would have warned of involvement in foreign unrest, the threat of immigrants, the growth of mob activities in the aftermath of prohibition, racial violence and the KKK, and unemployment and foreclosed properties.  Today Americans debate involvement in the mid-east, illegal aliens, drugs and gangs, racial profiling, and rising prices and continued unemployment.  This course will focus on the historic, literary, social and artistic forces that shaped American life during the 1920s and 1930s and the parallels and lessons they provide Americans in 2015. (CC 1.2 or 6, English literature elective, or free elective)

ENGL 4489 (01H): Thomas Edison and Invention (Honors)—Dr. David Sloane—TR 12:15-1:30 (restricted to students in the Honors Program)
Thomas A. Edison filed over 1,072 patents and is credited by some as inventing the modern world and being “The most important man of the millennium” (Time magazine, 2000). This course examines the history of science and technology in America with the human Edison as a representative American at its center. Dr. David E. E. Sloane, a great-grandson of Edison, will conduct the course based on his work with entrepreneurialism and Edison over the past three decades, focusing on Edison’s expectations for himself, his inventions, his country and his world. Because of his work with Mark Twain and Eli Whitney, those figures will also figure in an appraisal of the forces driving Edison’s work and its reception by the American people. The last few weeks of the course will attempt to project Edison's methods of invention and thought into the still young 21st century and challenge students to create websites focusing on their understanding of Edison and American technology, history and future directions. (CC 1.2, 2.3, 4.2, or 6; free elective; English literature elective)

ENGL 4494 (01): Sentence and Syntax for Teachers and Editors—Dr. Edward Geisweidt—TR 9:25-10:40
Syntax errors do not occur only in computer science. And while the caricature of the grammarian frets over split infinitives and conjunctions at the beginning of a sentence, real teachers and editors encounter more serious and complex errors at the sentence level. Through diagramming, syntax repair clinics, and studies of literary models, students will develop a practical appreciation for the English sentence that will help them to confidently address problems in student and professional writing. (English writing elective or free elective)

ENGL 4496 (01): Peer Tutoring Practicum—Dr. Mary Isbell—MW 3:05-4:20 Are you a strong writer? If yes, you’ve probably already realized that helping fellow students identify problems with their papers helps you improve as a writer. You have to develop strategies for explaining why certain things don’t work grammatically and why topic sentences are important. This, in turn, makes it easier to overcome difficulties in your own writing process. If you’re planning to be a teacher, this course will be incredibly helpful, but peer tutoring is also great preparation for any career that requires strong communication skills. This course has two components: 1) You will meet regularly in one-on-one tutoring sessions with UNH students who want to improve their academic writing skills. 2) You will meet as a class to learn the theory and practice of peer tutoring. Class discussion and assigned reading will address situations emerging from actual tutoring sessions. Strong writers and good communicators from all majors are encouraged to enroll. (free elective)