Biology & Environmental Sciences Department Student Success Stories

This is a sampling of some recent student success stories for our wonderful undergraduate students.

Brittany N. Wienclaw

Brittany is a double major in biology and in forensic science. She was able to perform her internship at the Brookhaven Laboratories (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/04/140408112117.htm). Her internship also resulted in a paper in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA (http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2014/04/04/1322045111.abstract).

Christina Kling

Chistina KlingChristina Kling is a senior at the University of New Haven majoring in biotechnology and biochemistry and a John Hatfield Scholar. She has completed two SURF projects, one on mycobacteriophage and the second on Lyme disease, which is also the focus of her honor's thesis research. She has mentored students at the Sound School, and has worked as a lab assistant for the Molecular Biology course for two semesters and as a lab and lecture assistant for the Chemistry Department for three years. She will be presenting at the Northeast Regional Honors Council Conference in April and has been accepted into Weill Cornell Graduate School of Medical Sciences for fall 2014. She plans to pursue a Ph.D. in Biomedical Sciences and ultimately wants to do medical research for unmet medical needs. Christina also participated in an event where students reflected on the importance of scholarship and thanked donors.

Julie Huston

JulieMs. Huston, a marine biology major, was accepted to attend the American Educational Research Association conference as part of a student fellowship. She is working with Judy Randi (Department of Education) to develop and test a middle school curriculum centered on marine pollution for her senior thesis research.

Alexis Hudson Alexis and Vicky

AlexisAlexis Hudson, a senior Marine Biology major has been an intern at The Maritime Aquarium for the past three years. Now, Alexis is conducting a study on self-recongition by harbor seals at the Aquarium for her Senior Thesis. See more at: http://www.maritimeaquarium.org/blog/mirror-mirror-on-the-wall-whos-the-fairest-seal-of-all/

Lauren M. Paolella

LaurenLauren Paolella graduated with a B.S. in Biology, a B.S. in Forensic Science and a minor in Chemistry. In her senior year, she worked as an intern, and after graduation as a Research Assistant, at Yale University and VA hospital in the Endocrinology and Metabolism Research Laboratory. In February, she was accepted into the University of Pennsylvania for the Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics Ph.D. program starting in the fall of 2014.

Amber BondsAmber Bonds

A member of the Honors Program graduated with a double major in biology and forensic science, she will begin a Ph.D. program at SUNY Stony Brook this fall. Amber will conduct research on neurodegenerative diseases, with a focus on Alzheimer’s disease. As a student at UNH, she studied abroad in Spain and conducted hands-on molecular biology research.

Derrick ChelikowskyDerrick Chelikowsky

A marine biology major, he traveled to Washington, D.C., where he presented cutting-edge research to members of Congress about the development of the bay scallop. His findings are critically important to the multi-million dollar shell fishing industry in Connecticut. After graduation, he is continuing to work at the National Marine Fisheries Service Lab in Milford, CT in collaboration with a researcher from Syracuse University and a team from the National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration.

Molly LorenzMolly in Lab

A double major in Biology and Forensic Science with a minor in chemistry, she is participating in a summer internship at Gilead Sciences in Branford, CT. In May 2014, she is expected to graduate from University of New Haven, and is pursuing medical school for the fall of 2014. In the past summers, she has participated in research at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and Yale University. During her time at UNH, Molly has worked as a laboratory assistant for the Biology & Environmental Sciences and the Chemistry & Chemical Engineering departments.

Bryan NeumannBryan in Lab

A triple major in biology, biotechnology, and forensic science with a minor in chemistry, he will be participating in a summer internship at Gilead Sciences in Branford, CT. In August, he will begin his studies in the molecular and cellular biology Ph.D. program at Dartmouth College conducting research in genetics and the biochemistry of cancer biology. While at UNH, Bryan worked extensively as a laboratory assistant for biology courses and conducted SURF and independent research on the effects of exemestane on two-dimensional and three-dimensional breast cancer cell cultures.

Michael SmircichMichael G. Smircich

The co-recipient of this year’s Herbert F. Wright Outstanding Biology Student Award, Michael has been accepted into the graduate program at the University of Connecticut.  He has accepted a full time graduate assistantship in the lab of Eric Schultz, where he will be conducting an analysis of the diet and condition of early-stage fishes over a time series in order to assess the impact of zebra mussel invasion. In addition, Michael will be presenting his research thesis on the effects of internal tag size on fish at the Southern New England American Fisheries Society 2013 Summer meeting.