Program Options

Students have the opportunity to choose from the following program options to meet their particular needs and interests.

For each option, students select a faculty advisor who serves as a guide and resource to foster the students’ experiential learning.

1 - Internship
The internship option provides students with the opportunity to gain real-world experience in an organizational setting.

Internships can be within a variety of functions in Human Resources including, but not limited to: organization development, talent acquisition, compensation and benefits, training and development and employee relations.

Learn More Button

For more than twenty years, the MAIOP internship program at UNH has provided students with opportunities to apply skills learned in the classroom to outside organizations. Faculty have established working relationships with several organizations to assist students in their search for internships. Generally, students begin exploring internship opportunities during their second semester of their first year. Many internships provide flexibility in scheduling to meet the needs of both the student and the organization. Interns are usually compensated on an hourly basis for their work, or the organization may provide a stipend for services.

Some organizations have specific tasks or projects that they would like the intern to accomplish, while others assign a variety of general duties. Below are a list of project activities interns may engage in at their internship.

Developing competency models

Developing exit interviews

Designing and analyzing organizational surveys

Delivering training programs

Recruiting and staffing

Reviewing and creating job descriptions

Working with the HRIS

Developing and implementing performance management programs

Analyzing wage and salary structures

Conducting focus groups

Updating policy and personnel manuals

Developing behavioral interviews

2 - Practicum
The practicum option is intended for full-time working professionals. Students who choose the practicum option complete a special project related to the field on their present organization they are working for. The goal of the practicum experience is to acquire out-of-classroom learning and expertise that will help students meet their future career objectives.
Learn More Button

The practicum program is an option for full-time working professionals who attend the MAIOP program. Students who choose this option complete a special project related to the field at their present job or elsewhere (if the job setting does not allow for an appropriate project experience). The goal of the practicum experience is to acquire out-of-classroom learning and expertise that will help students to meet their future career objectives.

To satisfy the practicum option, students propose HR/OD projects in their current employment position. However, the practicum experience involves additional study and research on a project that goes above and beyond the student's normal job requirements. Students who are not able to complete a practicum project in their current workplace may create a learning opportunity in another setting. Examples of recent MAIOP practicum projects:

Creating a pay-for-performance program

Creating an organizational succession plan

Developing and delivering a seminar

Conducting workshops on diversity

Revising organizational recruitment processes

Creating work/life programs

Developing and analyzing an employee attitude survey

Developing competency models

3 - Thesis
The thesis option is intended primarily for those who are interested in continuing their education in doctoral-level programs. This option gives students the research experience necessary to be successful in the pursuit of a Ph.D. program.
Learn More Button

Students who choose the thesis option work closely with a faculty member throughout all stages of the research project. The thesis option takes a significant amount of time and dedication to complete. Students should begin their proposal by the second semester of their first year.

4 - Approved Electives with Comprehensive Exam
The choice of electives is intended to provide students with a broad interdisciplinary background, complementing the student’s own academic interests. A comprehensive examination covering material from the required psychology courses is required under this option.
Learn More Button

A comprehensive examination covering material from the required psychology courses is required under this option. Students who wish to complete this program option should consult with the program coordinator.