UNH Students Honored

October 15th 2013

CGA Logo with a cartoon image of a globeOn Wednesday, September 25, 2013, nine University of New Haven students were honored by the Connecticut Geographic Alliance for winning the first annual Newspapers in Education (NIE) Geography Connections Contest.  The “Geography Connections” program with the Hartford Courant has been an annual feature of the Newspapers in Education program.  The series of global articles introduces students to the globe through interactive and interesting readings about cities and countries around the world. Elementary and middle-school students learn about the world through culture, geographic themes, and mapping skills.  This year, UNH pre-service education students were invited to write articles that may appear in the Hartford Courant during the 2013-2014 school year.

The following UNH pre-service teaching student winners are listed with their country theme:  Tara McNulty (Saudi Arabia), Chelsea Donovan (Ireland), Lauren Silverio (Japan), Claudia Viacava Lynch (Cuzco, Peru), Kevin McHugh  (Ireland), Brian McDermott (Kenya), Vincenzo Giliberti (Roanoke Island),  Britany Sweet (Amalfi Coast), Trisha Wysoczanski (Rome).

The winners each will be published in the Hartford Courant’s Newspapers in Education Geography Connections series (http://nieonline.com/courantnie/geoconnections.cfm) during the school year. They each received an honorary membership into the Connecticut Geographic Alliance, the Connecticut educational outreach of National Geographic, a cash prize and award recognition.